Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Presidential Status

Imagine driving down Pennslyvania Ave in Washington DC and seeing a small gathering outside of the Whitehouse. You´d probably think just another protest....well in Brasil things are a little different. Canzé and I were headed to the Brasilian `Whitehouse` because I hadn´t seen it yet when we noticed a rather small gathering outside of the gates (50-60 people). We parked next to the crowd and got out to see what was going on. Well it just happened to be President Lula´s birthday which was in the midst of celebration. He was in attendance within the crowd and we got to go right up, no screening, no ID check, no metal detectors and pat him on the back.
Afterwards I was still in shock and amazement about the amount of liberty people had to just go up and shake hands with the president. This is how it should be in the USofA. I asked around and people would just tell me ´´it´s not like people hate him, sure there are political rivals, but Brasil doesn´t go around telling people how to do their business so no one has true intentions or ambitions on harming the president.´´

WOW that´s refreshing to hear, well anyway,
Let´s play SPOT THE GRINGO:



3 comments:

Annette said...

Wow, what a refreshing concept, a president in touch with the people.
Will you be in Salvador on All Saints
Day? Isn't that the founders day celebration day?
Happy All Hallows Eve.
P.S. Who's the dude in the red shirt?

Stewart said...

The ``dude`` in the red shirt is the president of Brasil mom.

love,
Stewart

Clay Thomas said...

So presidential...
I hope you are keeping tabs on all of the cool stuff you are doing- looks like I am going to make my own South American jaunt after graduation, so I'll need some recommendations.